Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The downside of living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean is...

...shipping costs! Yes my friends, the cost of shipping things to the islands is outrageous. This is the reason that I try to purchase locally whenever I can. Many businesses ship products into the islands in large shipping containers which substantially reduces their shipping costs per item.

If you feel that there is a rant about to happen, you are right. Please scoot on down to the end of my post to keep from hearing about it.

My story...I have been scouring the island over a period of 6 months for Ultra Firm interfacing and have come up with zero, nada, zilch, time and time again! I was able to find a product similar in weight at one of our fabric stores for almost quadruple the price that I usually pay which I thought was totally ridiculous. Even if I did purchase what they had on hand, it would still leave me a good 190 yards short of what I needed. The Wallyworld near my home has been out of it since the beginning of the year and the only info that the clerk could offer me was that they were having trouble with their orders. I was told that when they did manage to get a 20-yard bolt in stock, it would fly off of the shelf as if it were never there to begin with. I ask myself, if it is in such high demand, why don't they order a large number of bolts at a time. I'm sure they would have no trouble unloading the stuff, especially since it disappears as soon as it hits the shelf. The shelves at Wallyworld that were once full of Pellon and interfacing is now bare and has been that way for months. Pfft! I digress...

My lament about shipping costs...I finally gave in and ordered Ultra Firm directly from the company that supplies Wallyworld and other businesses because I knew that there was no way that I was going to get my hands on enough in time for my fairs. Again, I asked myself, if I can get this delivered to me in less than a week, why is Wallyworld having so much trouble.

I know you're probably thinking, big stinkin' deal, and she wasted a whole post about it too. Well, unfortunately, it is a huge deal to me. Being without this stuff puts a total halt to the production of my handbags.

I limited my order to 200 yards due to the high cost of shipping. Out of the total cost of $500.00, the shipping was $170.00. Crazy, huh? Yes, that is the penalty for living in paradise. Okay, I'm done ranting now. Sorry....

My precious cargo....


If you've made it this far, thanks! You deserve a gold medal for endurance.

Since I have nothing new to show you, I am going to share a prototype of a wrist pincushion that I made a while back. I love the pretty coral colored fabric that I used on the petals. This is my interpretation of a daffodil.


A close-up.


AnneMarie, sorry that I missed your cupcake question. If you would like to use cardboard, I think it will work out great. Anything that is rigid will hold up well. You can also use very firm interfacing.

CM2, I used the yo-yo maker to create the red hearts. The completed red hearts(two, back to back)measures almost 2-inches. The center yo-yo is about 1/2-inch smaller. Feel free to experiment with the size of the yo-yo's. You can make them as large or as small as you like.

To everyone, thank you all for the handbag love from yesterday's post. I'm happy to hear that many of you love the handbag as much as I do.

I would like to send a heartfelt thank you to all of you for stopping by and commenting. I really appreciate your feedback. Sorry that I've been so slow at returning comments. I'm currently weeks behind...sigh@!

Hope you all have a fabulous and creative day!

Aloha!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not heard zilch used for a long time 8-) But I know what you mean. I will see something in a mag. or on a craft program and I go looking for the item with no luck. Most of the time now I go direct if I can. It saves time, gas, and my sanity. Thanks for your info. I'm going to work on that basket over the weekend. I did post a photo of some of my yo yos. Will I better start dinner it looks like rain.

Janie

Cathi said...

I can totally understand your frustration with the shipping costs! I will often look at something, think about ordering it and then stop when I realize how outrageously high it is to ship something from the States to Canada -- with only a border to cross, no great expanses of water!

That said, would you really want to give up living in paradise? I don't think I would!

Lorraine said...

Sorry to hear about your shipping woes. I know it's so expensive nowadays. Love the daffodil pin cushion. I wish I could grow them that color in my garden!!!

Anonymous said...

I was clueless as to the shipping charges and am shocked. That's really such a shame.

Teresa said...

Love the wrist pin cushion. I have been checking out patterns thinking of making one. That is about as far as I have gotten. Maybe you should consider opening a quilt shop there on the islands - sounds like there is a real need.

Netter said...

HOLY! I totally feel your pain. $170...ouchie. I thought I was having a bad day when I went to three stores to find a craft item I needed. I'll stop complaining when I have to break down and order it...my shipping is much cheaper. MUCH.

Cute pin cushion, by the way. You really do come up with the cutest things.

Kim West said...

I share your pain. I hate it when a company ships via USPS, but won't to Hawaii, and only ships via USPS or FedEx - making the shipping costs much more expensive. Living in paradise does have its priced. My problem was I really didn't have a choice when it came to living here or not. I don't regret it, but it can be a pain when everything is more expensive even in the stores due to shipping.

sweetiepie said...

Yikes, that is a lot for shipping! But what can you do when the clock is ticking away. At least now you can proceed with your projects.

I love the daffodil wrist pin cushion. Have a nice day.

Annette said...

Your pincushion is just beautiful. And I love your handbag too. Sooo gorgeous. I'm sorry about your dilemma with interfacing. Sounds frustrating for sure. I guess I should consider myself very lucky, being surrounded by fabric stores and can dash out for most anything I need. I shouldn't take that for granted.

Anonymous said...

You can rant all you want and i totally understand the frustration! When we want to sew/craft something and one of the supplies is not in the house, we call taht a crisis!
And though the prices are ridiculous, isn't it all in all cheaper than buying a bolt at the local store? (when they have it...)
To cheer you up: do you know what we have to pay for quiltingfabric in Europe!? $30/$35 a mtr! That should make you feel better!

Anonymous said...

Hello Arlette,

Thanks for visiting and leaving the lovely comment. You just can't see my mistakes from the pictures. I can assure you I do have mistakes in those quiting stitches! :)

I absolutely LOVE your flower pin cushion. You never cease to amaze me with your creativity!

Happy Crafting!